Temporary expansions

You must have a license for a temporary expansion in Minneapolis.


You may apply for a temporary expansion of license if you have an on-sale liquor, wine or beer license.

With temporary expansion, you can:

  • Upgrade your entertainment
  • Expand your premises and/or
  • Stay open later than normal

Each temporary expansion of license is good for two days and includes: 

  • Entertainment not allowed with your current license 
  • Use of an area next to your licensed premises 
  • Entertainment after 2:00 a.m. 

We may approve additional temporary licenses for special events.

musicians playing outside a bar



Get a license application from Minneapolis Business Licenses.

See Temporary Expansion of License Application


Find your license fee

2022 temporary outdoor expansions

Emergency regulations allow you to operate outdoors on private property. There is no fee for this.

Complete a 2022 temporary outdoor expansion application

Submit your application  

Submit your application to Business Licenses & Consumer Services

If you have questions, contact:

More information


Report concerns about a business with an alcohol license


The information on this page should serve as a guideline only.

Request accessible format

If you need help with this information, please email 311, or call 311 or 612-673-3000.

Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

Contact us

Business Licenses & Consumer Services

Community Planning & Economic Development






Public Service Building 
505 Fourth Ave. S., Room 220
Minneapolis, MN 55415


Minneapolis 311


Office hours

7 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Monday – Friday