Liquor liability insurance

The City has specific requirements for liquor liability insurance.


Legal/corporate name

The legal/corporate name on the certificate must match exactly (word for word) to the:

  • Approved licensee name, including Inc. or LLC
  • Trade name (Doing Business As, or DBA)
  • Address of premises

Policy number

The policy number must appear on certificate with one of the following:

  • Coverage dates identical to the license period or
  • Text that states, “Liquor liability coverage is continuous until cancelled.” 


The insurance must cover:

  • Personal injury or death: $50,000/$100,000
  • Property damage: $10,000
  • Other pecuniary loss: $50,000/$100,000
  • Loss of means of support: $50,000/$100,000

For more information

  • Talk to your insurance agent about completing the:
    • City requirements for liquor liability insurance
    • State requirements for liquor liability insurance
  • See Minnesota Statute 340A.409


See City requirements and a sample certificate

Request accessible format

If you need help with this information, please email 311, or call 311 or 612-673-3000.

Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

Contact us

Business Licenses & Consumer Services

Community Planning & Economic Development






Public Service Building 
505 Fourth Ave. S., Room 220
Minneapolis, MN 55415