Public Works

Solid Waste & Recycling


Contact Information

HHW Cleaners     HHW Paints    HHW Yard & Garden   HHW Auto

Household Hazardous Waste (HHW)

What is Household Hazardous Waste (HHW)?

Household hazardous waste (HHW) are household items such as cleaning products, chemicals, polishes, paints, yard and garden supplies, automotive and recreational products, batteries, and light bulbs.  These HHW items and more can cause harm to people and the environment.  HHW should be brought to a special HHW facility that will ensure proper disposal of these items. 

Identifying HHW

HHW is easy to identify by signal words such as: poison, danger, warning, and caution.  Other words and phrases associated with HHW include: flammable, corrosive, volatile, explosive, toxic, may cause irritation, do not inhale, and use in well-venitlated area.  If you are unsure if an item is considered HHW, contact Hennepin County or bright the item with you to the HHW facility and ask a technician on site.  

Hennepin County HHW & Recycling Drop-Off Facilities

Hennepin County operates two HHW & Recycling Drop-Off Facilities for residents to bring their unwanted materials.  For more information regarding hours of operation, acceptable items, possible fees, and driving directions, visit Hennepin County's HHW & Recycling Drop-Off Facilities webpage.

Special Collection Events

Hennepin County holds HHW collection events in Minneapolis each year.  Visit Hennepin County's website for event dates, locations, times, and materials accepted at these special collection events.

Preparing Materials for DeliveryHHW General Boxed

Common HHW itemsHHW Cleaners

Common Household Items:

Aerosol cans with product remaining (spray paint, air freshener, cooking spray, hair mousse, hair spray, pressurized air, spray adhesive, wood cleaner, antibacterial spray, etc.); all-purpose cleaner, drain cleaner, kitchen cleaner, mercury thermometers and thermostats, mothballs, nail polish and remover, oven cleaner, furniture polish, spot removers, tile and tub cleaner, photo chemicals, etc.

Home Improvement & Construction:HHW Paints

Oil-based paint, latex paint*, stain and varnish, paint remover/stripper/thinner, driveway sealer, concrete cleaner, wood preservatives, roofing tar, glue with solvents, etc.

* Latex paint is non-hazardous.  Empty latex paint containers and containers with dried latex paint may be disposed of with your household garbage.  Leave the lid off the container so the crew can see the paint is dried or the container is empty and place the empty or dried containers next to your garbage cart.  Latex paint with liquid paint remaining should be brought to the HHW facility where it will be shipped for remixing and reuse.

Empty or dry oil-based paint containers should be brought to the HHW facility.  Empty oil-based paint cans will be placed in the scrap metal and dry oil-based paint will be sent out for proper disposal.

HHW Auto
Automotive & Recreation:

Aerosol cleaners and degreasers (carburetor cleaner, WD-40, chain lubricants, etc.), car and recreational vehicle paints, motor oil, oil filters, gasoline, antifreeze, transmission fluid, power steering fluid, brake fluid, car wax, windshield washer fluid, charcoal lighter fluid, pool chemicals, etc.

 HHW Yard & Garden
Yard & Garden:

Pesticides, herbicides, fungicides, insecticides, fertilizers that contain pesticides (weed & feed), etc.  Any product (liquid, solid, or aerosol) that claims to deter or kill an insect, rodent, or animal is considered HHW (bug spray, rodent bait, bee killer, etc.)

Other HHW Items that require special disposal:

Fluorescent and high intensity discharge (HID) bulbs, batteries, propane cylinders, helium tanks, other compressed gas cylinders, fire extinguishers, and electronics. 


For proper disposal information for items listed in the Other HHW Items category, or for items not listed on this page, contact Hennepin County by calling (612) 348-3777 or by visiting  Hennepin County's Green Disposal Guide.

Last updated Dec 2, 2019



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-263-6850.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 

Solid Waste & Recycling Services  ©1997-2020 City of Minneapolis, MN


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Watch Minneapolis City Council TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo