Created in 1972 by the Clean Water Act, the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit addresses water pollution by regulating the discharge of pollutants to surface waters such as lakes, creeks, wetlands, and rivers.
The Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA) is the local authority responsible for administering this program. Under this program, NPDES permits are issued to regulate different types of industrial, construction, and municipal activities that have the potential to discharge pollutants.
The primary goal of the Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) NPDES permit is to restore and maintain the chemical, physical, and biological integrity of waters of the state through management and treatment of urban stormwater runoff. The first MS4 NPDES Permit was issued to the City of Minneapolis and the Minneapolis Park & Recreation Board (MPRB) as co-permittees in 2000. This permit has been reissued by the MPCA in 2011 and again in 2018.
As required by each of the reissued permits, the City and the MPRB prepare a new Stormwater Management Program , which describes the programs, procedures, and policies that will be implemented over the permit term to provide for long-term environmental stewardship. The Stormwater Management Program endeavors to protect people, property, and the environment, to meet or surpass regulatory requirements, to maintain and enhance infrastructure, to provide cost-effective services, to educate and engage the public and stakeholders, and to enhance livability and safety. The Stormwater Management Program was last updated in July 2019.
Public review and comment
- The MPCA held a public comment period on the draft MS4 NPDES permit from December 11, 2017 to January 10, 2018.
- The Minneapolis City Council approved the 2022 Annual Report on 2021 Stormwater Management Activities on June 9, 2022.
- Minneapolis holds a public comment period on the Stormwater Management Program each year prior to submitting the annual report. However, inquiries about the Stormwater Management Program can be made at any time.
- 2022 Stormwater Management Program Report (for 2021 Activities)
- September 2018 NPDES MS4 Phase I Permit
- View previous annual reports