Public sewer problems common questions

We share answers to frequently asked questions related to reporting public sewer problems.

How to report public sewer problems

If there is a foreign substance flowing into a storm drain inlet, who should I contact?
Show response
What can be done about grass clippings or leaves that block the sewer drain inlet?
Show response
What can I do about manhole covers near my house that rattle every time a vehicle rolls over it?
Show response

Request accessible format

If you need help with this information, please email 311, or call 311 or 612-673-3000.

Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

Contact us

Public Works

Surface Water and Sewers


24-Hour Hotline 612-673-5625

Stand-by employee 612-490-5568 (outside business hours)

Call 311 for non-urgent issues


7 a.m. to 3:30 pm

Call the sewer operations stand-by employee outside normal business hours.