Minneapolis Solid Waste & Recycling
Collection will not be affected by the Martin Luther King Jr. Day holiday on Monday January 18, 2021. Please place your carts and up to two large items out on your regularly scheduled collection day during the week of January 18, 2021. Please note that while collection is not impacted, Solid Waste & Recycling's office will be closed on Monday January 18, 2021.
Shovel snow around carts: If the collection crew cannot easily wheel your carts to the truck, they cannot service them. Remember to shovel a 36" wide path through the snow, including snow left by the plow, from your carts to the alley or curb line.
Please do not shovel snow into the alley or street as it makes collection more difficult for our crew, it makes maneuvering alleys more difficult for you and your neighbors, and is not allowed per City ordinance. For more information visit our Clearing snow around carts web page.
Holiday tree disposal: Holiday trees should be placed next to your garbage cart before 6 a.m. on your regularly scheduled garbage day. If the tree is six feet or taller, make sure to cut it in half.
Holiday trees are not accepted in organics recycling. Holiday trees are processed as garbage due to chemicals applied to the tree's needles to prevent browning, keep needles longer, and to make the tree less flammable.
Contacting Solid Waste & Recycling
On Monday April 6, 2020 Solid Waste & Recycling office staff began to work remotely. Thank you for your patience and understanding during this unique time.
- Our hold times may be longer than normal.
- Our call center hours are 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. until further notice.
- Our office is currently closed to the public, please call or email us with any questions.
South Transfer Station
Important notice for Transfer Station users:
- Until further notice the South Transfer Station will be open to Voucher Customers only. Cash and checks are not accepted. Any voucher overages will be added to the Utility Bill account for the property.
- If you do not have a Voucher, you are not able to use the site at this time. Visit Hennepin County's Landfill and transfer station web page to find alternative disposal locations while the transfer station is unavailable. Be sure to call ahead to verify materials accepted, hours, and fees.
How to add another cart, change the size of your cart, or request container labels
- Call Solid Waste & Recycling, Monday - Friday 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. at 612-673-2917.
- Email [email protected]. If sending an email, include your name, address, and your request. If requesting container labels, be sure to include the number of each type of label you'd like mailed to you.
- To sign up for organics recycling, fill out our online signup form. You may also call us or send us an email.Organics Recycling
Español: Mi manera; Mi motive
Hmoob: Txheej txheem kev rov maub siz dua tshiab - Kuv Txoj Kev; Kiv li laj thawj rau kev maub siv dua tshiab
Somaaliga: Dib u warshadaynta Hadhaaga Cuntada; Dib u warshadaynta Hadhaaga Cuntada - Sabaabtayda
There is no extra cost for one or more recycling carts. Recycling is picked up every other week on your regular collection day. Print off a recycling guide and post in your house to remember what all you can and can't recycle.
For more information visit our Acceptable Recyclable web page.
Should you require a reasonable accommodation in order to fully participate, or information in an alternative format, please contact Solid Waste & Recycling at 612-673-2917 or by emailing [email protected].
Para assistencia: 612-673-2700
Pau kev pab: 612-673-2800
Hadii aad caawimaad u baahantahay: 612-673-3500
The Division of Solid Waste & Recycling is committed to excellence in customer service. The mission of the Division is to protect the health and safety of Minneapolis residents by providing solid waste management services that result in a clean and livable city. A Clean City is Job One, and the job is carried out in a safe, environmentally protective and cost effective manner. Solid Waste & Recycling is funded by your monthly fees, sale of metals and recyclables and a Hennepin County recycling grant. Property taxes are not part of the funding for your solid waste and recycling services.
Last updated Jan 12, 2021