Child Abuse

To report suspected child abuse

When to call 911 to report suspected child abuse:

Types of child abuse

Physical abuse

Sexual abuse



Signs of child abuse

Who must report child abuse?

Minnesota law requires that any person whose job involves working professionally with children and who knows or has reason to believe that a child is being neglected or physically or sexually abused shall  report suspected abuse.

Are there penalties for a mandated reporter who fails to report child abuse? 

Minnesota law requires reporting by mandated reporters who know or have reason to believe that a child is being abused or has been abused within the past three years. A mandated reporter who fails to make a report under those circumstances is guilty of a misdemeanor.

What should I do if a child tells me about abuse? 

For more information about child abuse

Call the Minneapolis Police Department, Central Investigations Department at 612- 673-2941 between the hours of 8:00 am and 4:00 p.m. The receptionist will connect you with a child abuse investigator.

Additional Resources:

Prevent Child Abuse Minnesota

Childhelp USA

Stop It Now (Preventing Child Sexual Abuse)

MN Law regarding reporting of maltreatment of minors

Hennepin County Child Protection


Last updated Mar 2, 2020



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-263-6850.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 

Minneapolis 311       ©1997-2021 City of Minneapolis, MN


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Watch Minneapolis City Council TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo