The application form
If you want a property tax exemption, you must submit the appropriate application form along with copies of other supporting. If you are unable to provide the supporting materials, you must provide an explanation.
If you submit your materials by mail, please put them on a CD or flash drive.
Submit one application for each parcel. When transmitted electronically, one of the following will constitute a signature.
- Taxpayer name
- Name of the taxpayer's authorized agent
- Taxpayer's identification number
Mail, email or drop-off your property tax exemption application to the Assessor's Office.
Supporting materials checklists
- 501(c)(3) determination letter from the IRS
- Articles of Incorporation, charter and bylaws (including all amendments)
- All active leases in the building or on the property. Include a rent roll and site plan (if available)
- Narrative description of the organization, its mission, and the recipients of its services
- Federal form 990 for the last three years. If not required to file, provide financial statements for the last three years. Statements should detail donations, other revenue and expenses
- Resident agreements and facility policies (if applicable)
Application for Property Tax Exemption for Nursing Homes and Boarding Care Homes (Form CR-NBH)*
Provide one of the following.
- Evidence the facility is certified to take part in the medical assistance program (under Title 19 of the Social Security Act)
- The facility’s discharge policy, showing residents are not discharged due to inability to pay
Property leased to schools (including charter schools)
Application for Property Tax Exemption, General (Form CR-PTE)*
- Documentation from the Minnesota Department of Education or your Authorizer that includes grade levels approved for public education
- Submit separate applications, including all supporting materials, for the charter school and the affiliated building company
Institutions of Purely Public Charity
- Institution of Purely Public Charity Application for Property Tax Exemption (Form CR-IPPC)*
- Completed “North Star” Survey