Address: 3954 Bryant Avenue South
Neighborhood: East Harriet
Construction Date: 1910
Contractor: Lowell A. Lamoreaux
Architect: Lowell A. Lamoreaux
Architectural Style: Colonial Revival
Current Use: Public – Government
Date of Local Designation: 1998
Date of National Register Designation: 2002
Area(s) of Significance: Historic Person
Period of Significance: 1910 -
Historic Profile: The Theodore Wirth House located at 3954 Bryant Avenue South was constructed to act as both a residence for the superintendent and the administrative offices for the Minneapolis Park Board. Constructed in 1910, the building, with curvilinear parapets and a tan stucco exterior, is characteristic of the popular West Coast Mission style of architecture. The building has been nationally and locally designated as historically significant because of its affiliation with the influential career of Theodore Wirth. Acting as superintendent for over two decades, he expanded publicly owned parkland from 1,810 acres in 1906 to 5,241 in 1935. He made efforts to modernize Horace Cleveland’s "Grand Rounds" by adapting the parks for automobiles and recreational uses. His largest, most visible accomplishments were his concept of Victory Memorial Drive and Glenwood Park, which is now named after him.
1915, Portrait of Theodore Wirth, courtesy of The Minnesota Historical Society
2006, Minneapolis CPED
"City of Minneapolis Heritage Preservation Commission Registration Form," May 1996.
Updated: February 2007