Address: 4153 3rd Avenue South
Construction Date: 1890
Architect: Septimus J. Bowler
Architectural Style: Richardsonian Romanesque
Date of Local Designation: 2000
Date of National Register Designation: N/A
Historic Use: Religious
Current Use: Religious
Areas of Significance: Cultural History
Period of Significance: 1800-1899
Historic Profile: The Montefiore Cemetery Chapel is considered a significant reflection of the religions and cultural development of early German Jewish communities in Minneapolis. The Cemetery Chapel was commissioned by the Montefiore Burial Association in 1890 in order to carry out traditional burial practices. However it quickly developed into the cultural center for Shaarai Tov (Temple Israel). In 1952 the Montefiore Cemetery Association merged with Shaarai Tov and changed the name to Temple Israel Cemetery. Rehabilitation efforts to restore the historic integrity of the porte cochere arch were conducted in 2000.
2006 photo, Minneapolis CPED
"City of Minneapolis Heritage Preservation Commission Registration Form," May 1996.
Updated: February 2007