Address: 826 44 th Avenue North
Construction Date: 1902
Architect: Adam Lansing Dorr
Architectural Style: Commercial Utilitarian
Historic Use: Industrial/Commercial
Current Use: Residential - Single Family Dwelling
Date of Local Designation: 1995
Date of National Register Designation: N/A
Area(s) of Significance: Industry
Period of Significance: 1902-1929
Historic Profile: The small office building that originally housed the office of the Kinnard Press Company, later the Kinnard Haines Manufacturing Company, is the only remaining evidence of the firm that manufactured the well-known Flour City Tractor. The small company’s growth from 1882 to 1929 is exemplary of the development of agricultural implement companies during a period of rapid technological change, one that bridged steam power to gas-powered combustion engines. Situated near a railroad spur in what has long been a mixed residential and industrial district, the Kinnard Press Company was among the earliest factories that grew in the Camden area along Shingle Creek. The Kinnard-Haines Company was a pioneering company, which experimented with gasoline-driven engines for agriculture purposes. The Flour City Tractor was sold throughout the region until the demise of the company during the Depression era.
1902, City Gasoline Tractor Engine, courtesy of the Minnesota Historical Society
2006, Minneapolis CPED
Landscape Research, "City of Minneapolis Heritage Preservation Commission Registration Form," April 1994.
Updated: February 2007