Address: 901 4 th Avenue South
Neighborhood: Downtown West
Construction Date: 1883-84
Architect: Edward S. Stebbins
Architectural Style: Gothic Revival
Historic Use: Religious - Church
Current Use: Religious - Church
Date of Local Designation: 1983
Date of National Register Designation: 1984
Area(s) of Significance: Architecture
Period of Significance: 1800-1899; 1900-
Historic Profile: The Gethsemane Episcopal Church, one of the oldest surviving churches in Minneapolis, is significant for its Gothic Revival architectural style. The area surrounding the church has changed over the decades from its earlier, primarily residential, nature to its current commercial status. The church, having retained remarkable architectural integrity, represents a link with the nineteenth century in both design and location. The Episcopal parish was first organized in 1856 and within the same year the congregation had built their first church. By 1881, the congregation had expanded and a plan to erect a new church was implemented. The design was executed by Edward S. Stebbins, a locally prominent architect. Stebbins’ prototype for the design was based on the small English Gothic style parish churches found in rural England. The diminutive scale, which emphasized broad rather than tall proportions, was unusual for churches built in the late nineteenth century.
1890, courtesy of the Minnesota Historical Society
2006, Minneapolis CPED
City of Minneapolis, "Local Heritage Preservation Designation Study," March 1982.
Updated: February 2007