Address: 2011 Dupont Avenue South
Neighborhood: Lowry Hill
Construction Date: 1894/1906
Architectural Style: Romanesque Revival
Historic Use: Religious - Church
Current Use: Religious - Fraternal
Date of Local Designation: 1986
Date of National Register Designation: 1976
Area(s) of Significance: Architecture
Period of Significance: 1800-1899; 1900 -
Historic Profile: The Fowler Methodist Episcopal Church, now the Scottish Rite Temple, marks the only combined architectural effort by noted Minnesota architects Warren H. Hayes and Harry Wild Jones. Named in honor of the Bishop Fowler, the original designs for the chapel were submitted by Hayes in 1894. However, financial difficulties as well as the death of the architect halted further construction until 1906 when Jones brought the project to completion. Designed in the Romanesque Style, the main walls are composed of rough-cut, pink Jasper while the buttresses are made from red sand stone. Above the entrance on Franklin Avenue, a 24-foot diameter "rose" window divided into 12 divisions of "petals" all beautifully glazed with leaded stained glass, is featured. In 1915, the Scottish Rite acquired the building and has occupied the site since that time, maintaining and preserving the original design integrity.
1945, Norton and Peel, courtesy of the Minnesota Historical Society
2006, Minneapolis CPED
City of Minneapolis, "National Register of Historic Places – Nomination Form," September 1975.