Address: 310 4th Avenue South
Neighborhood: Downtown West
Construction Date: 1892, 1909
Architect: Long and Kees
Architectural Style: Chicago Commercial
Historic Use: Commercial
Current Use: Commercial
Date of Local Designation: 1980
Date of National Register Designation: 1977
Area(s) of Significance: Architecture, Commerce
Period of Significance: 1893, 1909-
Historic Profile: In 1893 construction of the Flour Exchange Building was abruptly halted after only four stories had been built. A financial panic sweeping through cities around the country resulted in a run on the banks in Minneapolis and the bankruptcies of many businesses. By 1909, the remaining seven stories were completed, resulting in an eleven-story brick Chicago commercial style building. Long and Kees’ design was a straightforward expression of the building’s function, not an adaptation of historic details. In a time of numerous elaborate revival styles of architecture, the design for the Flour Exchange set a precedent in Minneapolis, leading the way for other buildings such as the Butler Brother’s building (1906), with modern characteristics.
1910, courtesy of The Minnesota Historical Society
Still Needed 2006, Minneapolis CPED
"National Register of Historic Places – Nomination Form," November 1976.