Address: 4201 Cedar Avenue
Construction Date: 1923
Architect: Collins and Kennison
Architectural Style: Craftsman/Bungalow
Historic Use: Public – Fire Station
Current Use: Commercial - Offices
Date of Local Designation: 2003
Date of National Register Designation: pending
Area(s) of Significance: Community Planning; Architecture
Period of Significance: 1923-1979
Historic Profile: Station #13 was completed at a time when the city was experiencing significant population growth and new building construction and fire protection was deemed a critical part of the early modern era of city planning. The new Station 13, completed in 1923, was an important improvement for the area south of 36 th Street. It opened just as several public schools and other facilities were completed. The Standish Elementary School (1920-23), Roosevelt High School (1922) and Roosevelt Library (1925) were built in the area’s first years of settlement. Nearly 5,000 new residential units were constructed between 1919 and 1922 in Minneapolis, extending the need for fire fighting services at the periphery of the city limits. In an effort to blend into its residential area, Station 13 was designed as a low, horizontal building with a front yard. Architects Collins and Kennison chose a Craftsman/Bungalow design which concealed the building’s function. Station 13 was a distinct departure from the two-story structures with prominent entries. Station 13 was closed in 1979 as part of the Fire Department’s modernization and expansion. It subsequently housed an emergency medical technician unit. Now occupied with offices, it is only one of a few remaining stations that pre-date World War II.
1936, A.F. Raymond, courtesy of The Minnesota Historical Society
2006, Minneapolis CPED
"Local Heritage Preservation Designation Study," 2003.