Boundaries: Generally bounded by 4 th Avenue Southeast, the alley between 4 th and 5 th Streets Southeast, 8 th Avenue Southeast, and the alley between 5 th and 6 th Streets Southeast.
Neighborhood: Marcy Holmes
Date of Local Designation: 1976
Date of National Designation: N/A
Historic Profile: The Fifth Street Southeast Historic District exhibits popular nineteenth century architectural styles built by influential citizens of Minneapolis. Primarily centered along Fifth Street Southeast extending from 4 th Avenue to I-35W, the district generally includes those properties facing Fifth Street, in addition to a few properties facing Fourth and Sixth Street Southeast. Beginning as a scattered residential development in the late 1850s, the district expanded on the edge of the pioneer milling town of St. Anthony. When St. Anthony and Minneapolis merged in 1873, the street names were changed to numeric identities and lots along Fifth Street Southeast were sold to prominent families for further development.
During the early years of St. Anthony and after the merge, Fifth Street Southeast remained one of the finer streets of residence. Many of the people who resided in this neighborhood were merchant families originally from New England. The flour and milling industry drew these early residents to St. Anthony and Minneapolis. In order to be near their business, Fifth Street Southeast was a reasonable choice for settlement, due to its close proximity to the river.
Octavius Broughton, a millwright from New Hampshire, arrived in St. Anthony Falls in 1854 and purchased the lot at 511 Fourth Avenue Southeast in 1858. Woodbury Fisk, also a native of New Hampshire, came to St. Anthony in 1856 and became a principle in the flour milling firm of Pillsbury, Crocker and Fisk. He built his Italianate Revival home in 1870 at 424 Fifth Street Southeast. Related to Woodbury Fisk by marriage, Thomas Andrews built his Italianate Revival home at 527 Fifth Street Southeast. Thomas Andrews served as alderman in St. Anthony and Minneapolis. Other large homes of merchant families within the Fifth Street Southeast area include the Van Cleve residence (603 5 th St. SE), William McNair (610 6 th St. SE) and John Dudley (701 5 th St. SE).
Combinations of large and small homes were built in the district, along with several institutional buildings, such as Andrew Presbyterian Church (1890). In addition to Italianate Revival, the district also features excellent examples of Greek Revival and Richardsonian Romanesque architectural styles. Remarkably, many of these buildings remain unaltered.
1965, courtesy of the Minnesota Historical Society
1894, courtesy of the Minnesota Historical Society
City of Minneapolis, "Local Heritage Preservation Designation Form."