Address: 300 Clifton Avenue
Neighborhood: Loring Park
Construction Date: 1906
Architect: Edwin H. Hewitt
Architectural Style: Georgian Revival
Historic Use: Residential - Single Family Dwelling
Current Use: Residential – Single Family Dwelling
Date of Local Designation: 1978
Date of National Register Designation: 1977
Area(s) of Significance: Architecture
Period of Significance: 1900-
Historic Profile: Situated on a small bluff overlooking Loring Park, the Eugene Carpenter House at 300 Clifton Avenue, as it exists today, is the result of an extensive alteration. Prior to moving in Eugene Carpenter renovated the house from a Queen Anne style frame residence to a two-story Georgian Revival design. The architect, Edwin H. Hewitt, removed the wrap-around porches and multi-gabled roof and replaced them with a symmetrical façade under a dormered hipped roof. The renovated home was occupied by Eugene J. Carpenter, a Minneapolis lumberman and prominent patron of the arts. He held an executive position with the Carpenter Brothers Lumber Company and was vice-chairman of the Minneapolis Society of Fine Arts until his death in 1922.
1915, courtesy of the Minnesota Historical Society
2006, Minneapolis CPED
"National Register of Historic Places – Nomination Form," January 1977.