Address: 314 Clifton Avenue
Neighborhood: Loring Park
Construction Date: 1906
Architect: William Channing Whitney
Architectural Style: Georgian Revival
Historic Use: Private Residence
Current Use: Commercial - Offices
Date of Local Designation: 1978
Date of National Register Designation: 1977
Area(s) of Significance: Architecture, Significant Person
Period of Significance: 1900-
Historic Profile: Situated on a bluff overlooking Loring Park, the Elbert L. Carpenter House was constructed in 1906 according to the design of William Channing Whitney. The red brick house was completed in the Georgian Revival style featuring a low hipped roof, a symmetrical façade, and an ionic portico. A porte-cochere acts as an entryway to the carriage house which mimics the design of the main house. The residence on Clifton Avenue was home to a prominent lumber-businessman who has also been attributed with helping to organize the Minneapolis Symphony Orchestra.
1910, Sweet, courtesy of The Minnesota Historical Society
2006, Minneapolis CPED
"National Register of Historic Places – Nomination Form," January 1977.