Address: 730 Stinson Parkway
Neighborhood: Mid-City Industrial
Construction Date: 1928
Architect: Walter H. Wheeler
Architectural Style: Moderne
Current Use: Under Construction (2007)
Date of Local Designation: 2005
Date of National Register Designation: N/A
Area(s) of Significance: Industrial development; Architecture
Period of Significance: 1928-2002
Historic Profile: The Cream of Wheat Company exemplifies the business spawned in the late nineteenth century by the Midwest’s flourishing agricultural economy. Drawn to Minneapolis by the region’s dominance in the grain-milling industry, the fledgling company grew to become a major player in the hot cereal market. A symbol of the company’s success was its 1927-28 corporate headquarters and factory at 730 Stinson Boulevard. The Cream of Wheat Building, with its prominent corner tower, is of architectural interest as well. Featuring a classic 1920s design that seamlessly incorporates office and factory uses, the building is further enhanced by its setback from Stinson Boulevard and the landscaped yards that surround it on three sides. The noteworthy design by engineer Walter H. Wheeler served the Cream of Wheat Company for several decades until Kraft Foods purchased the company and relocated it in 2002. The building is currently (February 2007) undergoing conversion into residential condo units.
1928, Charles P. Gibson, courtesy of The Minnesota Historical Society
2006, Minneapolis CPED
"City of Minneapolis Heritage Preservation Commission Registration Form," 2005.
Updated: February 2007