Address: 2729 Third Street North
Construction Date: 1885
Contractor: Union Stone & Building Company
Architect: Lemuel Jepson
Historic Use: Private Residence
Current Use: Demolished in 1996.
Date of Local Designation: 1984
Date of National Designation: N/A
Area of Significance: Architecture
Period of Significance: 1885-
Historic Profile: In 1885, real estate entrepreneur, William N. Holway, formed the Union Stone and Building Company in Minneapolis. Their largest contribution to the city was a cluster of concrete block homes and rowhouses on the North Side of Minneapolis along 3rd and 4th Streets and 26th Avenue North. Seven houses as well as a an eleven unit rowhouse remain as examples of the very early use of concrete block as an artistic architectural material. In her article “Early Development of the Artistic Concrete Block,” Ann Gillespie states that the introduction of pre-cast concrete into North America occurred in the late 1860s. Even though the new building material offered the advantages of being easily formed to resemble natural stone at considerably lower price, the widespread use of concrete blocks in residential structures was never widely embraced. The community developed by William Holway is an exception. Although the buildings were designed by individual architects, they all share similar stylistic elements — two-and-one-half-stories featuring side hall plans, rectangular fenestration, and roofs of the multi-gabled variety with ornamented primary façade dormers. All of the remaining houses, with the exception of one, have retained their original concrete exteriors. The concrete block house located at 2719 Third Street North was demolished and replaced with a new single family home in 1996.
1984, CPED Staff
“National Register of Historic Places Inventory Nomination Form” 1982
CPED Files, 1987-2006.
Updated: April 2015