Address: 400 Clifton Avenue
Neighborhood: Loring Park
Construction date: 1916
Architect: Howard Shaw
Architectural style: Colonial Revival
Historic use: Private Residence
Current use: Commercial - Offices
Date of local designation: 1986
Date of National Register Resignation: N/A
Area(s) of significance: Architecture
Period of significance: 1900 -
Historic profile: Notable as a fine, well-preserved example of early twentieth-century urban residential architecture, the Bovey Residence is remarkable structurally in that it was one of the first applications of reinforced concrete construction in the Twin Cities. Howard Shaw, the Chicago-based architect, created a Federal-style, flat-roofed, brick envelope about an Italianate plan. Photographic evidence points to the fact that the structure served as an elegant home for a wealthy Minneapolis citizen and his family. The plan fortuitously allows present-day use as offices for an architectural firm with little alteration or plan disruption.
1957, Norton and Peel, courtesy of The Minnesota Historical Society
2006, Minneapolis CPED
"National Register of Historic Places – Nomination Form," January 1983.
Updated: February 2007