Address: 100-04 Franklin Avenue West
Neighborhood: Steven’s Square
Construction Date: 1901
Architect: Frank B. Long and Louis Long
Architectural Style: Renaissance Revival
Historic Use: Private Residence
Current Use: Commercial – Office/ Reception Hall
Date of Local Designation: 2006
Date of National Register Designation: 1998
Area(s) of Significance: Architecture
Period of Significance: 1901-
Historic Profile: The Anne C. and Frank B. Semple House symbolized the business success of one of Minnesota’s most prosperous turn-of-the-century hardware merchants. The imposing exterior and richly detailed interior represent the accomplishments of Frank Semple who was a creator of what one historian called "for years the largest hardware house in the northwest." The grand and showy palace flaunted his success. Semple’s firm, Janney Semple and Company, began on the Mississippi riverfront in 1866 and operated under different names until it was acquired by a national retailer in 1960.
1965, Minneapolis Star Journal, courtesy of The Minnesota Historical Society
2006, Minneapolis CPED
"National Register of Historic Places – Nomination Form," July 1997.