Frank B. Long and Frederick Kees

You can read a biography of Frank B. Long & Frederick Kees who both worked on numerous Minneapolis landmarks.



Minneapolis City Hall/The Municipal Building
Flour Exchange Building
Farmers and Mechanics Bank
Semple, Anne C. and Frank B., House
Nott, William S., House
Long, Frank B., House
Lumber Exchange Building
Masonic Temple

Originally a New York native, Frank B. Long moved to Chicago in 1859 when he was only seventeen-years-old to pursue a career in carpentry. Attracted to architecture, he moved to Minneapolis in 1868 as the rapidly growing population necessitated a building boom. Long’s architectural firm attracted recognition after forming a partnership with Frederick Kees in 1884. Together, they took advantage of two of the driving forces in architecture of the day, the popularity of the Richardsonian Romanesque style, and the development of the skyscraper. Working at a time of great industrial prosperity in Minneapolis, Long and Kees designed many high-profile commissions such as the Lumber Exchange (1885), the Masonic Temple (1888), the Farmers and Mechanics Bank (1891), and most notably, the Minneapolis City Hall and Hennepin County Courthouse (1899-1905). While Long and Kees went separate ways in 1898, both continued their practices. Long collaborated with his son, Louis, and for a brief period, Lowell Lamoreaux.


Contact us

Community Planning & Economic Development

Historic Preservation




Public Service Center
505 Fourth Ave. S., Room 320
Minneapolis, MN 55415