Lowry Hill East Residential Historic District Design Guidelines
1915, 2400 Bryant Ave S, Minnesota Historical Society
2014, CPED Staff
Addresses: Portions of the 2400 block of Colfax Avenue South; the 2300 and 2400 blocks of Bryant Avenue South and Aldrich Avenue South; and 811 and 911 West 24th Street.
Neighborhood: Lowry Hill East
Construction Dates: circa 1882 - 1920
Contractors: Theron Potter Healy, Henry Ingham, and others
Architects: William Kenyon, Edward S. Stebbins, William Channing Whitney, and others
Architectural Styles: Colonial Revival, Queen Anne, Arts & Crafts, Prairie
Historic Use: Residential
Current Use: Residential
Date of Local Designation: 2015
Date of National Designation: N/A
Area of Significance: Streetcar related development, master architects, master builders, architecture
Period of Significance: 1882 - 1920
Historic Profile: Within the Lowry Hill East neighborhood there is a remarkable and eclectic collection of turn of the 19th and 20th century residences along the 2300 and 2400 blocks of Aldrich, Bryant and Colfax Avenues South. This neighborhood was developed as a typical example of the “streetcar suburb” where urban development followed the expansion of public transit service. Houses within the district feature wood balloon-frame construction and the majority retain original horizontal siding and fenestration patterns, consisting of double-hung sashes and fixed windows. House heights generally range from two to two-and-one-half stories and were constructed primarily in the Colonial Revival or Queen Anne architectural styles. The Arts & Crafts and Prairie architectural styles are also represented. The streetscapes of the Lowry Hill East Residential Historic District are created by the interplay of high pitched rooflines, open balustrade front porches, and bay windows set alongside tree-lined boulevards.
The collection of residences in this district developed due to the collaboration of talented local architects, builder-contractors, and the new middle and upper classes. Architects of the neighborhood included Downs & Eads, Warren B. Dunnell, William Kenyon, Long, Lamoreaux & Long, Edward Stebbins and William Channing Whitney. Theron P. Healy and Henry Ingham were among the neighborhood’s builders. As a whole, these intact resources possess physical characteristics that form a concentration of residential buildings with continuity of design and visual appearance through the use of similar setbacks, proportion, scale, material and use of ornamentation.
Photographer unknown, 1915. Minnesota Historical Society
2014, CPED staff
“Designation Study: Lowry Hill East Residential Historic District” (2015)
Updated: June 2015