Address: 1215, 1220 Marshall Street N.E.
Construction Date: 1891-1910
Contractor: Wolff and Lehle
Architect: Wolff and Lehle/Carl F. Struck
Architectural Style: Romanesque Revival
Historic Use: Industrial/ Commercial
Current Use: Commercial - Offices
Date of Local Designation: 1977
Date of National Register Designation: 1990
Area(s) of Significance: Architecture, Industry
Period of Significance: 1891-1927
Historic Profile: Established in 1890, the Minneapolis Brewing and Malting Company resulted from the merging of four small Minneapolis companies: Orth Brewing, Heinrich Brewing, Germania Brewing and Norenburg Brewing. By 1891 construction of a new brewery complex began on Marshall Street and 13 th Avenue NE. The complex was to consist of seven structures including the brew house, offices, and warehouses. The complex is an excellent example of industrial architecture that reflects the tastes of the period, as interpreted by prominent German-born architects. The new facility dramatically boosted the firm’s production capacity – over 500,000 barrels were produced annually by 1900. With the passage of the Eighteenth Amendment in 1919, however, the Minneapolis Brewing Company was forced to drastically curtail its activities. It remained open for several years in the 1920s producing "near beer" and soft drinks, but closed in 1927 until the repeal of Prohibition in 1933. The company resumed brewing beer, reaching a sales peak in 1957. In an attempt to reach a wider region, brewing operations were relocated to St. Louis, leaving the brewery vacant in 1975. Since, the property has been renovated to accommodate offices.
1948, courtesy of The Minnesota Historical Society
2006, Minneapolis CPED
"National Register of Historic Places Inventory – Nomination Form," October 1986.
Updated: February 2007