Address: 126 Franklin Avenue East
Neighborhood: Steven’s Square
Construction Date: 1906
Architect: Edwin H. Hewitt
Architectural Style: Tudor Revival
Historic Use: Residential – Single Family
Current Use: Commercial – Funeral Parlor
Date of Local Designation: 1986
Date of National Register Designation: 1978
Area(s) of Significance: Master Architect
Period of Significance: 1900-
Historic Profile: Edwin Hawley Hewitt, one of Minnesota’s most widely acclaimed architects, designed and lived in this residence on the corner of Franklin Avenue and Stevens Avenue. After studying for many years in the United States and France, Hewitt returned to Minnesota in 1904 to establish his own architecture firm. In 1911 he joined with Brown, and together they designed many high-profile buildings throughout Minneapolis. The Minneapolis Telephone Building, the Episcopal Cathedral of St. Mark’s, the Metropolitan Bank Building, and Hennepin Avenue Methodist Church are just a few of the commissions completed by Hewitt and Brown. Hewitt, an advocate of cultural growth in the Twin Cities, became a major supporter and member of the Society of Fine Arts. The house he designed for himself not only contributes to the architectural aesthetic of Minneapolis, but is also a testimonial to the impact of Hewitt’s career.
1974, Charles Nelson, courtesy of The Minnesota Historical Society
2006, Minneapolis CPED
"National Register of Historic Places – Nomination Form," January 1977.