Lead laws for construction or remodeling

EPA requirements for property owners and contractors performing renovation or remodeling work.

EPA's renovation, remodeling and painting regulation

What's required?

Federal law requires that contractors give individuals the Renovate Right pamphlet before beginning renovation or remodeling work in homes, schools and childcare facilities built before 1978. This requirement applies when six square feet or more of painted surfaces in a room for interior projects or more than twenty square feet of painted surfaces for exterior projects in housing, child care facilities and schools built before 1978 is disturbed.Contractor Certification

Beginning April 2010, the federal law will require contractors that disturb lead-based paint in homes, child care facilities and schools, built before 1978, to be certified and follow specific work practices to prevent lead contamination. Therefore, if you plan to hire a contractor to do work in your home, ask them for their certification and what practices they will follow to prevent lead dust in your home.

For more information the RRP Regulation

Visit the US Environmental Protection Agency's website

Connect with a certified trainer

Find a certified trainer on the EPA's website

Find a certified trainer on the City of Minneapolis website

Additional information

Renovation, Repair and Painting (RRP)

Renovate Right: Important Lead Hazard Information for Families, Child Care Providers and Schools

Pre-Renovation Disclosure Form


Request accessible format

If you need help with this information, please email 311, or call 311 or 612-673-3000.

Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

Contact us

Minneapolis Health Department




Public Service Building
505 Fourth Ave. S., Room 520
Minneapolis, MN 55415