Resources and information on housing assistance during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Apply for emergency rent assistance

Emergency rent assistance is now available for Minneapolis residents through RentHelpMN and the Zero Balance Project.

Eligible Minnesota renters can receive help with rent and utility bills dated on or after March 13, 2020. Qualifying renters could receive up to 15 months total assistance.


RentHelpMN is a collaborative effort between local and state government across Minnesota to provide emergency rental assistance to Minneapolis households and households across the state through one joint application process.

Applicants should submit one application through RentHelpMN regardless of their location within Minnesota.

Have questions or need help with the application process? Call 211 today. Trained operators are available to answer your questions about your eligibility, bills or documents. 211 has translation services available.

Minneapolis residents can also call the following community partners for assistance:


Special Skill/Community


Comunidades Latinos Unidos en Servico (CLUES)


(651) 362-0162

New American Development Center (NADC)

Somali, Oromo, or Amheric


Minneapolis Public Housing Authority

Residents of public housing/ Housing Choice Voucher holders


NorthPoint Health and Wellness Center



Government partners include the City of Minneapolis, Hennepin County, City of Saint Paul, Ramsey County, Dakota County, Washington County, Anoka County, and the State of Minnesota.

Zero Balance Project

The counties of Dakota, Hennepin and Ramsey, and the cities of Minneapolis and St Paul are offering emergency rental assistance through a program called The Zero Balance Project.

In The Zero Balance Project, property owners start and lead the application on behalf of their renters.

Application Opens: June 7 at 9:00 a.m.
Application Closes: June 20 at 11:59 p.m.
More information and to apply

Rent is still due during the State of Minnesota’s evictions moratorium. You can’t be evicted for not paying rent under Governor Walz’s executive order, but this order may be lifted soon and you will be at risk of eviction if you have unpaid rent. Don’t wait to apply for help.

Other Rent Assistance Programs Recently Available

Hennepin County Emergency Rental Assistance – Funding for rent and utilities for low-income households who have lost income due to COVID-19.

This application for emergency rent assistance is now closed.

If you submitted an application, someone will contact you to help finish the application process, decide if you qualify, and make plans to pay your rent and utilities.

You can check the status of your application here. You will need the User ID from your confirmation email.

Minneapolis Housing Stabilization Pilot Program - The City of Minneapolis awarded funding to the organizations listed below to support tenants in 2-4 unit rental housing with rent and utility direct assistance payments in 2021. Contact the providers directly for more information.

Housing Stabilization Pilot Program rental/utility assistance providers

Al-Maa’uun - Ensures that tenants don’t lose housing and follows up with financial
coaching to stabilize households on a path to home ownership.
1729 Lyndale Ave N
Minneapolis, MN 55411

Lutheran Social Services – Serves single Black mothers in south Minneapolis by
providing direct payment (to landlords) of program participants.
2400 Park Ave S
Minneapolis, MN 55404

Powderhorn Park Neighborhood Association – Provides direct assistance to renter
households along with counseling services
821 E 35th St
Minneapolis, MN 55407

Urban HomeWorks – Empowers community members through activities that include
education/counseling and rent/utility supports for tenants.
2015 Emerson Ave N
Minneapolis, MN 55411

We Win Institute, Inc. - Provides direct assistance to tenants with an incentive for
renters to transition to homeownership.
1330 Lagoon Avenue Suite 400
Minneapolis, Minnesota 55408
Attention: Titilayo Bediako

Resources for Renters

Housing assistance resources and legal help

Many program rules have changed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. If you were not eligible in the past for housing assistance, please contact the organizations below to determine if you are now eligible for one of these services.

I need help paying rent or other expenses

Apply for assistance at mnbenefits.org.  In addition to emergency housing assistance, this site can connect to food assistance, cash programs, and child care assistance. Income level, prior use of this resource, and immigration status criteria may be considered, according to individual program guidelines.

Necesito ayuda para pagar el alquiler
Show response
Waxaan u baahnahay caawin ah bixinta kirada
Show response
Kuv xav tau kev pab them nqi tsev
Show response
Kiraa kaffaluuf gargaarsan barbaada
Show response

I need help working out a plan or other agreement with my landlord

Community Mediation & Restorative Services, Inc (CMRS) helps you start a conversation and work out a plan with your landlord. We can help you think through your options and finding the right resources. Email referrals@CMRSmn.org or call 763-561-0173. Leave your name, phone number or email, and a brief description of your situation. A CMRS mediator will be in touch with you.

Conflict Resolution Center provides free mediation services to help renters and landlords talk with each other to resolve housing conflicts. Call 612-822-9883 or submit a mediation request online.

I need help understanding my rights as a tenant

Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid provides legal advice to low-income Minneapolis renters. Information and resources for all Minneapolis renters is available here:

  • Legal Aid’s COVID-19 page with legal information and resources
  • Legal-Aid’s housing-specific information and advice. This includes information about the Governor’s executive order to suspend evictions and lease terminations. This webpage is updated daily as new information is available.
  • Individual tenants can also call Legal Aid to get information about their specific situation. Legal Aid provides free legal services for income qualifying renters: 612-334-5970.

HOME Line provides free and confidential legal advice to all Minneapolis renters. Individual tenant questions can be directed to HOME Line:

  • HOME Line's tenant hotline, free & confidential legal advice: 612-728-5767 or email your question to HOME Line housing attorneys.
  • HOME Line ofrece servicios en español. Para Español, llame al 612-255-8870.
  • HOME Line waxay bixisaa adeeg ku baxa Afka-Soomaaliga. Af- Soomaali wac 612-255-8860.
  • Peb lub koom haum HOME Line muaj neeg txhais lus Hmoob. Hais lus Hmoob, Hu 612-255-7104.

LawHelpMN.org contains legal information in English, Spanish, Hmong and Somali.

I am a Minneapolis Public Housing Authority (MPHA) resident, have a housing choice voucher, or other help paying my rent based on my income

If you receive help paying for your rent based on your income, it is important to report changes in your income right away. MPHA advises households to immediately report any loss of income to their eligibility technician, so that rent can be lowered accordingly and promptly.

More information is available on the MPHA website.

I want to apply for unemployment benefits

If your job has been affected by COVID-19, apply for unemployment benefits right away. Due to current call-wait times, applying online is the quickest option. Learn more about applying for unemployment.

Show response
Show response
Show response
Show response

I need help accessing my Federal Economic Impact Payment and filing taxes

Prepare + Prosper works with people with low- to moderate-incomes to build financial well-being through free tax preparation and financial services, coaching, and products. Other services include:

  • Remote support in filing returns for taxes and stimulus payments
  • Enrollment assistance in safe and affordable prepaid debit cards and their FAIR banking products (including a checking account) to quickly access Economic Impact Payments and tax refunds

For tax help or general questions contact 651-287-0187 or contact@prepareandprosper.org.
To enroll in an account, make an appointment online.

I am looking for something not listed here

United Way 211 offers additional information on housing, food, utilities anywhere in Minnesota. Call 2-1-1, text your ZIP code to 898-211, or visit the United Way website to search or chat online with a Community Resource Specialist. 211 is staffed 24/7 by trained Community Resource Specialists who listen to your needs and provide referrals to organizations and programs that offer the services you seek.

I am not sure what help I need

If you are a resident of Hennepin County and aren’t sure what might be the most helpful, please contact the Tenant Resource Center (TRC) at 612-302-3180.

Show response
Show response
Show response
Show response

Frequently asked questions about suspension of evictions

More information is available on Minnesota Housing’s COVID-19 webpage, including a summary of Executive Order 20-14 and the full Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) document.

What does the order do?

  • The order keeps tenants and foreclosed homeowners in their homes during the state of emergency, except in limited circumstances.

When did the order go into effect?

  • The suspension went into effect at 5 p.m. on March 24, 2020. It remains in effect until the declared peacetime state of emergency ends.

Does the tenant still owe rent during the moratorium?

  • Yes. We strongly encourage renters to: (1) Let your landlord know early if you cannot make rent. (2) Pay what you can so you don’t get further behind on rent.

Does the homeowner still have to make their mortgage payment?

  • Yes. The order asks financial institutions to postpone foreclosure and not to impose late fees. If they choose to, financial institutions can still start foreclosure proceedings, but, during the public health emergency, cannot evict the people living in the home.

Does the household need to demonstrate a loss of income or COVID-19 diagnosis?

  • No. This order does not require a COVID-19 diagnosis or demonstrated loss of income.

Are all types of evictions or lease terminations exempt from filing under this suspension?

  • No. Evictions or terminations may proceed in cases where the tenant seriously endangers the safety of other residents or for violation of 504B.171 subd. 1. (certain unlawful activities on the property). Property owners/lenders are encouraged to seek legal counsel with questions about specific situations.

What happens if a landlord/lender violates the order?

  • If they willfully violate the suspension of evictions, they would be guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction may be punished by a fine not to exceed $1,000 or by imprisonment for up to 90 days. The Attorney General’s office may also enforce the order using any of the remedies under Minn. Stat. 8.31. See .

Download full FAQ from Minnesota Housing about Executive Order 20-14


Contact us


Minneapolis 311


Office hours

7 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Monday – Friday