Resources and information on housing assistance during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Apply for emergency rent assistance


RentHelpMN, a statewide emergency rent assistance portal, stopped taking new applications January 28, 2022. Minnesota Housing will not take new applications after this deadline; they will continue to process completed applications.

Minneapolis and Hennepin County Programs:

  • Will process completed applications and allow for submission of incomplete applications by applicants.
  • Closed to re-applications on Friday, May 13
  • Applicants in the Minneapolis Program must finish their incomplete application by June 24, 2022, at 11:59 PM. Any application remaining in incomplete status as of the deadline will be withdrawn from the program.
  • Applicants log into their RentHelpMN to complete their application or check on application status.

For more information, call 211. Hennepin County residents can call 612-348-6442 for help with their application.

Submitting an application through RentHelpMN, even if you are eligible, does not guarantee that you will receive assistance. The program prioritizes assistance for those applicants that meet certain criteria and may run out of funds before all applications are processed.

If you need help paying your rent, find other emergency assistance programs at Hennepin County’s website

Resources for renters

Housing assistance resources and legal help

Many program rules have changed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. If you were not eligible in the past for housing assistance, please contact the organizations below to determine if you are now eligible for one of these services.

I need help paying rent or other expenses

Apply for assistance at mnbenefits.org.  In addition to emergency housing assistance, this site can connect to food assistance, cash programs, and child care assistance. Income level, prior use of this resource, and immigration status criteria may be considered, according to individual program guidelines.

Necesito ayuda para pagar el alquiler
Show response
Waxaan u baahnahay caawin ah bixinta kirada
Show response
Kuv xav tau kev pab them nqi tsev
Show response
Kiraa kaffaluuf gargaarsan barbaada
Show response

I need help working out a plan or other agreement with my landlord

Community Mediation & Restorative Services, Inc (CMRS) helps you start a conversation and work out a plan with your landlord. We can help you think through your options and finding the right resources. Email referrals@CMRSmn.org or call 763-561-0173. Leave your name, phone number or email, and a brief description of your situation. A CMRS mediator will be in touch with you.

Conflict Resolution Center provides free mediation services to help renters and landlords talk with each other to resolve housing conflicts. Call 612-822-9883 or submit a mediation request online.

I need help understanding my rights as a tenant

Legal Aid provides free legal services for income qualifying renters at 612-334-5970. Individual tenants can call Legal Aid to get information about their specific situation. 

HOME Line provides free and confidential legal advice to all Minneapolis renters. Individual tenant questions can be directed to HOME Line:

  • HOME Line's tenant hotline, free & confidential legal advice: 612-728-5767 or email your question to HOME Line housing attorneys.
  • HOME Line ofrece servicios en español. Para Español, llame al 612-255-8870.
  • HOME Line waxay bixisaa adeeg ku baxa Afka-Soomaaliga. Af- Soomaali wac 612-255-8860.
  • Peb lub koom haum HOME Line muaj neeg txhais lus Hmoob. Hais lus Hmoob, Hu 612-255-7104.

LawHelpMN.org contains legal information in English, Spanish, Hmong and Somali.

Renter protections - City of Minneapolis  - The City has renter protection policies as part of our housing maintenance code.  

I am a Minneapolis Public Housing Authority (MPHA) resident, have a housing choice voucher, or other help paying my rent based on my income

If you receive help paying for your rent based on your income, it is important to report changes in your income right away. MPHA advises households to immediately report any loss of income to their eligibility technician, so that rent can be lowered accordingly and promptly.

More information is available on the MPHA website.

I want to apply for unemployment benefits

If your job has been affected by COVID-19, apply for unemployment benefits right away. Due to current call-wait times, applying online is the quickest option. Learn more about applying for unemployment.

Show response
Show response
Show response
Show response

I need help accessing my Federal Economic Impact Payment and filing taxes

Prepare + Prosper works with people with low- to moderate-incomes to build financial well-being through free tax preparation and financial services, coaching, and products. Other services include:

  • Remote support in filing returns for taxes and stimulus payments
  • Enrollment assistance in safe and affordable prepaid debit cards and their FAIR banking products (including a checking account) to quickly access Economic Impact Payments and tax refunds

For tax help or general questions contact 651-287-0187 or contact@prepareandprosper.org.
To enroll in an account, make an appointment online.

I am looking for something not listed here

United Way 211 offers additional information on housing, food, utilities anywhere in Minnesota. Call 2-1-1, text your ZIP code to 898-211, or visit the United Way website to search or chat online with a Community Resource Specialist. 211 is staffed 24/7 by trained Community Resource Specialists who listen to your needs and provide referrals to organizations and programs that offer the services you seek.

I am not sure what help I need

If you are a resident of Hennepin County and aren’t sure what might be the most helpful, please contact the Tenant Resource Center (TRC) at 612-302-3180.

Show response
Show response
Show response
Show response

Homeowners who are experiencing hardship due to loss of income from COVID-19

  • HomeHelpMN: is offered through Minnesota Housing to help if you have fallen behind on your mortgage or other housing-related expenses due to the pandemic. If interested, please apply at the website or call 1-800-388-3226 to apply. This program has limited funds, so applications should be submitted to Minnesota Housing without delay. Minnesota Housing has recently updated the program as follows:
    • The cap of assistance that can be provided increased from $35,000 to $50,000.
    • There is no time restriction on housing-related expenses incurred.
    • There is no deadline to apply for assistance.
  • City of Lakes Community Land Trust (CLCLT) Project: Sustained Legacy (P:SL): The City is providing support to CLCLT to help current homeowners remain in their home. CLCLT will invest in mortgage debt restructuring for a sustainable housing payment and/or significant rehabilitation work. In exchange for participating in this program the homeowner would enroll in a perpetually affordable housing model that will sustain a home’s affordability to future purchasers.
  • The Minnesota Homeownership Center has a network of free homeownership advisors to provide guidance about your options in multiple languages.
  • Look up who owns your mortgage.
  • Contact your mortgage servicer now to learn about your options. Do not stop making mortgage payments without contacting your servicer as it may increase your risk of foreclosure.
  • Contact information for your servicer should be on your mortgage bill, call and ask for the loss mitigation department.
  • Options available from mortgage servicers could include forbearance options, mortgage modifications and mortgage payment relief.
  • Your specific options may vary depending on your individual circumstances.
  • When working with your servicer, you should:
    • State that you are having a financial hardship due to COVID-19. You will not be required to provide documentation of this hardship.
    • Request a COVID-19 Forbearance for your mortgage payments.
    • Ask your servicer to confirm the details of your agreement in writing.

Additional Information


Contact us


Minneapolis 311


Office hours

7 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Monday – Friday