Conversion therapy

The City has proposed a new ordinance that would ban the dangerous and disproven practice of "conversion therapy."

November, 2019

What is "conversion therapy?"

Often referred to as “reparative therapy,” “ex-gay therapy,” or “sexual orientation change efforts,” conversion therapy includes a range of dangerous and discredited practices aimed at changing a person’s sexual orientation or efforts to change a person’s gender identity or expression. 

What would this ordinance do? 

This ordinance would make it unlawful for any provider to provide conversion therapy or reparative therapy to a minor.

We invite you to review the full text of the ordinance and related ordinance amendments on the city's website. You will find a complete list of definitions, as well as details about the enforcement and purpose of the ordinance. 

How do we define "provider?"

A provider is any individual who is licensed, certified, or registered under the laws of the State of Minnesota, including mental health practitioners and mental health professionals as defined in Minnesota Statutes, Section 245.462, to provide mental health services. Providers include, but are not limited to, physicians specializing in the practice of psychiatry, psychologists, marriage and family therapists, social workers, clinical counselors, behavioral clinicians or therapists, nurses, or any other persons offering such mental health services. A provider does not include members of the clergy who are acting in their roles as clergy or pastoral counselors and providing religious counseling to congregants.

How could someone report a violation of this ordinance?

The Complaint Investigations Division (CID) housed in the Civil Rights Department would be responsible for enforcing the ordinance. An alleged violation could be submitted to CID either online, in-person, or by phone. 

Where can I get more information about the proposed ban on "conversion therapy?"

To learn more about "conversion therapy" and the proposed ordinance, please review the following online resources:

Additional questions? Please contact