Discrimination has been illegal for decades
- When people believe they are a victim of discrimination, they can file a complaint.
- When an investigation finds discrimination, remedies can occur for an individual.
Remedies rarely go beyond the individual harmed
- Even though people file complaints, the systems and institutions responsible are not changed.
- Inequities persist for many black, indigenous and people of color.
- These persistent inequities are a civil rights issue.
- We are addressing inequities at the systems and institutional level.
Our department uses a racial equity lens to effect change on the way we do work
- In the Civil Rights Department
- In the City of Minneapolis
- With groups across our city
Our work includes
- Education and awareness
- Research and analysis
- Program development and implementation
An example of our work is the creation and management of Urban Scholars.
- We developed this program in response to the employment gap data.
- We continue to use a racial equity framework while managing the program.