This ordinance has not been formally introduced by the City Council.
The intent of this amendment is to require production space when establishing residential uses in areas designated as Production Mixed Use on Minneapolis 2040’s Future Land Use Map. This production space is intended to ensure that, as some Production Mixed Use areas transition to residential uses, opportunities for creative production and employment are retained.
Goals of the amendment
The amendment would ensure that Production Mixed Use areas include spaces for employment and foster the city’s creative economy. These ordinance changes support the following goals of Minneapolis 2040:
- Goal 1 - Eliminate disparities
- Goal 2 - More residents and jobs
- Goal 4 - Living wage jobs
- Goal 11- Clean environment
- Goal 12 - Healthy, sustainable, and diverse economy
Applicable sections of the zoning code
The following chapter of the zoning code is expected to be impacted by the proposed ordinance and is under consideration as part of the amendment:
- Chapter 551, Overlay Districts
- City Planning Commission Committee of the Whole (March 10, 2022)
- City Planning Commission (To be determined). This meeting will include the opportunity to provide testimony at a public hearing.
- City Council Business, Inspections, Housing, and Zoning Committee (To be determined)
- Minneapolis City Council (To be determined)
- City Planning Commission Committee of the Whole Memo (March 10, 2022)
For all media inquiries, please contact the City of Minneapolis Communications Department.