License and permit applications

We share temporary license and permit applications.


Before you begin, look at our instructions about how to apply for a business license.

  • Block Events
  • Carnival : A traveling show with acts, games, vending machines or amusement rides.   
  • Children’s Rides : Amusement rides for children operated by a coin or animal. 
  • Christmas Tree Dealers : The sale, trade or giving away of any tree used as a Christmas tree. This does not include artificial trees less than 36 inches used by florists for decoration.
  • Circus : A traveling show with acrobats, clowns, entertainers and/or trained animals.
  • Event Food Sponsor Permit : Food and drinks served to the public at community events need an Event Food Sponsor Permit.
  • Farmers’ Market : A market where growers can sell their goods to customers. Each Vendor must have a Seasonal Food Permit.
  • Farmers Market Distributor , Spanish  The sale or resale of prepackaged foods at farmers markets.  This includes farmers who sell produce purchased from a wholesaler.
  • Farmers Market Manufactuer : The sale of ready to eat foods at farmers markets.
  • Film Permits: Film or video projects in the City of Minneapolis. 
  • Flea Market : A temporary sale of arts, crafts, antiques or secondhand goods.
  • Flower Cart Vendor : The sale of fresh cut flowers on sidewalks or Nicollet Mall from a movable cart.
  • Gambling, Charitable: A permit for licensed gambling groups and nonprofits. Gambling includes paying games of chance for money.
  • Going Out of Business Sale : The sale of merchandise due to a business closing or a disaster such as fire or water.
  • Innovative and Emerging Small Business Pilot Program : Businesses that currently are not allowed in Minneapolis.
  • Parking Lot Class C – Temporary Events : A parking lot near the TCF stadium with event parking for up to 15 days per year.
  • Rental Hall, Temporary : A building or room rented for private events for fewer than five days per year.
  • Seasonal Food Permit , Spanish  The sale of food or drinks at farmers markets or three or more community events. You may have two stands for each permit.
  • Short Term Food Permit : The sale of food or drink at community events. You may have two stands for each permit. You may operate up to 10 days at one event.
  • Street Photographer : The business of taking photographs of anyone on the street or sidewalk.
  • Tattoo/Body Art Establishment, Temporary Event Sponsor : A temporary license for a convention or guest artist event. The state requires each tattooist and body piercer to get a Guest Artist License.
  • Temporary Expansion of License : Businesses with an on-sale liquor, wine, or 3.2 beer may apply for a permit to:
    • Upgrade your entertainment
    • Expand your premises
    • Stay open later than normal closing time

View our sample outdoor diagram .

Temporary Extended Hours : Any licensed business that does not serve alcohol may stay open than regular hours.

Temporary On-Sale 3.2 Beer  (Liquor or Wine ): Charitable, religious, non-profit organizations, microdistilleries and breweries may serve beer (liquor or wine) at an event.  A licensed on-sale beer, liquor, or wine business must provide liquor insurance and servers. Example: Fundraising events. 


Request accessible format

If you need help with this information, please email 311, or call 311 or 612-673-3000.

Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

Contact us

Business Licenses & Consumer Services

Community Planning & Economic Development






Public Service Building 
505 Fourth Ave. S., Room 220
Minneapolis, MN 55415


Minneapolis 311


Office hours

7 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Monday – Friday