We require a parade permit for any parade, march or procession in or on any street or alley in the City of Minneapolis. This does not include sidewalks.
If the event occurs only on park property
- Contact the Minneapolis Park Board, for Park Permits and Reservations.
- You do not need an additional permit from the City.
- Application must be submitted at least five business days prior to event. A legible route map must be included with the application.
- Parade route must be approved by Shane Morton or Sgt. Beth Mota.
- Once parade route has been approved, please provide detailed traffic control plan with application showing the location and type of traffic control signs.
- Authorized traffic control agents or police personnel must be provided at all intersections requiring traffic control.
- Barricades, signs and delineation equipment must be installed and removed as directed by either the Public Works or Police Department. The City does not rent equipment. There are a number of local private firms which do rent the equipment.
- Volunteers must be provided to monitor barricades at all intersections not requiring traffic control personnel.
- Residents and property owners abutting the event route must be notified by leaflet at least 48 hours before the event (See Minneapolis Ordinance §447.130).
- Application Fee: A $25 non-refundable filing fee is required with the application. (Individuals and organizations demonstrating financial hardship may have this fee waived.)
- No Parking Sign Posting Fee: When the posting of temporary “No Parking” signs along a parade route is required, applicants seeking a parade permit for a parade must additionally pay posting fees that shall be set by resolution of the City Council. Before application is submitted, please contact Shane Morton to determine the posting fee. Payment of the posting fee must be submitted with the application. Individuals, groups or organizations may request a waiver of the “No Parking” sign posting fee requirement in accordance with Minneapolis Ordinance Chapter 447.
Send completed applications to Dee McQuerry
Contact for more information about special event requirements.