Fireworks are devices containing gunpowder and other combustible chemicals that cause a spectacular explosion when ignited, used typically for display or in celebrations.
We require a Fire Watch - Special Event for:
- Indoor fireworks displays
- Outdoor fireworks displays
- Fireworks sales
We may require a fire watch for indoor or outdoor fireworks displays.
- Permit requirements:
- Pyrotechnics are regulated by:
- Minnesota State Fire Code
- State Statute
- Federal mandates
- Department of Transportation mandates
We require documentation submitted to Fire Inspection Services five business days prior to approving and issuing permits.
You must include:
- Detailed site plans identifying proximate audience and fallout areas
- Special inspections of display site and equipment, including quantities, storage of fireworks explosives, ready boxes, and post display
- A peer review of shooters/operators from the State of Minnesota, Federal and DOT License Divisions to perform indoor and outdoor displays. Operations must be approved by Fire Inspection Services Special Inspections prior to issuing permits.
How to apply
Permit or code information
For more information about fireworks permits or codes, contact the Fire Inspections Services Office.