- Electrical Permit: Required from the State of Minnesota if you plan to install, repair, replace or alter any electrical apparatus or equipment except for the replacement of light bulbs and fuses. This includes temporary power poles, generators, and lighting.
- For gas generators, a separate permit may be required from the Minneapolis Fire Inspections Division. In some cases, we require a Building Permit Application for anchoring power equipment.
- Electrical permits will be reviewed and inspected for compliance with the Minnesota Electrical Code and Minnesota State Fire Code with attention toward cables and power supply to ensure that they are located in an area without traffic or are covered with appropriate casing or ramps. Where power is obtained from an existing power source, the power supply from that source may require permit to ensure that it is appropriately protected.
- Mechanical Permit : Required if you plan to install, repair, replace or alter any mechanical or gas-fueled apparatus or equipment such as air conditioning systems, heaters and furnaces and/or ventilation for equipment installation.
- Plumbing Permit: Required if you plan to install, repair, replace or alter any water lines, waste lines, and gas piping.
- Building Permit Application : Required for an owner of a property or licensed contractor to construct any new temporary or permanent structure.
- Fire Watch - Special Event : Required for events involving a bonfire, fireworks, LP (Propane), liquid or gas filled vehicle or open flames/candles in assembly, temporary assembly, and/or tents/other membrane structure.
How to apply
To ensure public safety through compliance with the Minneapolis construction codes and other related state and city regulations, only a licensed contractor, holding the appropriate license classifications and a current business license with the City of Minneapolis may apply for a mechanical or plumbing permit.