Renter energy disclosure

Property owners are required to give prospective renters information about past energy usage at their properties.

Energy use reporting

Property owners are required to provide information about past energy use to prospective renters when they apply for housing. This provides renters with information about the actual total housing costs of a given building. It also provides property owners with information on how their building’s energy use compares to others and creates an incentive to make energy efficient improvements to their property.

Building types

The requirements are different, depending on the type of rental property.

  • Buildings with five or more units that are less than 50,000 square feet must provide two energy use reports, one each for electricity and natural gas. These reports must provide average monthly energy costs for the property over the last two years. The reports are created by Xcel Energy’s Rental Usage Portal and CenterPoint Energy’s Energy Data Portal, which create a unique web address to access each report for the property owner to provide to a prospective renter during rental application. (See help resources below for more information)
  • Buildings over 50,000 square feet need only connect prospective renters with information already reported publicly for the City's Energy Benchmarking standards. (Read about compliance for these buildings)

Some types of rental properties less than 50,000 square feet are currently exempt from reporting, but may be required at a later time:

  • Buildings with one to four units are under delayed implementation while the City currently works with Xcel Energy and CenterPoint Energy to develop a streamlined reporting method
  • Rented condominiums
  • Apartment buildings that have had a certificate of occupancy for less than two years

Creating energy cost reports

Resources are available to help you create electricity and natural gas cost reports using the utilities' portals.

Rental Property Lookup

You'll need the unit count, square footage, and number of bedrooms at the property to create the energy use reports in the portals. You can use the City's Rental Property Lookup tool to easily find this information in our records.

Electricity cost reports

Xcel Energy has answers to frequently asked questions about using their Rental Usage Portal.

Natural gas cost reports

CenterPoint Energy has answers to frequently asked questions about using their Energy Data Portal.

Video tutorials

We've created video tutorials to walk you through creating your energy use reports.

Contact us

Contact Minneapolis 311 for assistance with common utility tool registration issues and compliance questions.

Energy efficiency resources

Property owners can take action to reduce energy costs at their properties. 

Contact us

Inspections Services






Public Service Building
505 S. Fourth Ave., Room 510B
Minneapolis, MN 55415