Food plan review

The City must approve your plan to start a new food business or remodel or expand an existing food business.


In Minneapolis, a plan application must be reviewed and approved before you:

  • Start a new food business
  • Remodel or expand an existing food business
  • Upgrade or replace food equipment at an existing business

If you need to ask specific questions about remodeling or equipment upgrades, contact 311. Ask for a health inspector on the plan review team. 


We created a program to give consulting support to Minneapolis small and medium-sized businesses.

The Business Technical Assistance Program (B-Tap) helps businesses:

  • Start or expand a business
  • Pursue minority- or women-owned disadvantaged business certification
  • With general business advice, including:
    • Payroll withholding
    • Business licenses
    • Marketing strategy
  • Learn about available loan options

Read about B-Tap

Plan review process

Minneapolis Development Review uses ePlan (ProjectDox) to receive plans and send them to departments that review them, such as Environmental Health. 

See the steps for beginning and submitting a food plan review: 

ePlans (ProjectDox) - Electronic plan submission

Food Plan Review application

Business license

  • We require food businesses to be licensed. 
  • At least four weeks before opening, apply for your business license.
  • Before a new business can open:
    • Your license must be approved by Business Licensing
    • You must pass the final plan review inspection by Environmental Health

Understanding requirements

Food Establishment Construction Guide

Cabinet finishes based on intended use

Room finish schedule summary

Site evaluation

Minneapolis Environmental Health will only conduct a site evaluation after you have submitted plans or a license application.

Site evaluations are done by appointment only.

Green To Go

The Minneapolis Green To Go ordinance requires food and beverages prepared for immediate consumption and to go must be placed in packaging that is reusable, recyclable or compostable. Recyclable materials must be recycled. Compostable plastics must be composted.

Learn about Green To Go

State construction guides

You may also want to look at Minnesota food establishment construction guides. However, do not follow their instructions for submitting applications if your business will be in Minneapolis.

Request accessible format

If you need help with this information, please email 311, or call 311 or 612-673-3000.

Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

Contact us

Health Department

Environmental Health




Public Service Center
505 Fourth Ave S, Room 520
Minneapolis, MN 55415