Massage, tanning and tattoo

We list the applications for a new massage, tanning and tattoo business license.

Listed below are the applications for a new license.  Before you begin, look at our instructions on how to apply for a business license.

License applications

Massage Establishment, Commercial - A business offering massage services to customers. A license is not required for medical massage services. 

Massage Establishment, Home-based and/or Single Operator - A business offering massage services:

  • In a home
  • By a self-employed individual

Sun Tanning Facility - A place that uses ultraviolet lamps for cosmetic tanning.

Tattoo/Body Art Establishment - A business offering tattooing and/or body piercing. The state requires each tattooist and body piercer to get a license.

Tattoo/Body Art Plan Review Form

Body Art Technicians Form

Tattoo/Body Art Establishment, Temporary Event Sponsor - A temporary license for a convention or guest artist event. The state requires each tattooist and body piercer to get a Guest Artist License.

See State of Minnesota Body Art Licenses

Request accessible format

If you need help with this information, please email 311, or call 311 or 612-673-3000.

Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

Contact us

Business Licenses & Consumer Services

Community Planning & Economic Development






Public Service Building 
505 Fourth Ave. S., Room 220
Minneapolis, MN 55415