Emergency shelters

You must have a license to run an emergency shelter in Minneapolis.

An emergency shelter is a place with sleeping rooms and restrooms for individuals who are homeless. 

License application

Emergency Shelter   

Before you begin, look at our instructions about how to apply for a business license.


If an emergency shelter serves meals, we also require an institutional food license.

See institutional food

Request accessible format

If you need help with this information, please email 311, or call 311 or 612-673-3000.

Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

Contact us

Business Licenses & Consumer Services

Community Planning & Economic Development






Public Service Building 
505 Fourth Ave. S., Room 220
Minneapolis, MN 55415