You can apply for various new lodging licenses.

Listed below are the applications for a new license.  Before you begin, look at our instructions on how to apply for a business license.

License applications

Bed and Breakfast : Overnight lodging and breakfast in a private home to guests for a fee.

Emergency Shelter : A place with sleeping rooms and restrooms for individuals who are homeless.  

Hotel / Motel : A business that rents rooms for overnight lodging.

Lodging Establishment

  • A building that rents sleeping accommodations for one week or more. Must have five or more beds. This includes fraternity and sorority houses.
  • A lodging establishment with meals provided to the residents.

Short-Term Rental Hosting Internet Platform : An internet program that provides booking services for short-term rental property owners and guests.

Short Term Rental Hosting Platform Personal Information form : This is required for the applicant, contact person, and owners.

Request accessible format

If you need help with this information, please email 311, or call 311 or 612-673-3000.

Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

Contact us

Business Licenses & Consumer Services

Community Planning & Economic Development






Public Service Building 
505 Fourth Ave. S., Room 220
Minneapolis, MN 55415