The City of Minneapolis has a complete set of requirements for each type of business license application.
Before you begin
- Send your application to Business Licenses & Consumer Services by email, US mail, or drop it off at our office.
- A License Inspector will review the application and contact you.
- If you have questions about a particular type of license, contact the license inspector for your ward.
Tips for success
Many divisions may need to complete inspections and approvals.
Follow the checklist
- The first page of every license application lists everything the City needs.
- Fill out the entire application to reduce delays.
Learn the rules
- Before you sign a lease, ask if it can be contingent on getting your license.
- Zoning staff can tell you the types of businesses allowed at the location.
Learn more about Zoning
- Some building licenses require a floor plan and permits.
Read about permits
For more information, contact the Minneapolis Development Review Office.