Commercial block events

Commercial block events require a license and security plans.

License application

Block Event : A temporary gathering of people in the street or an alley. This license is for commercial block events.

Before you begin, look at our instructions about how to apply for a business license.

Security plan and personnel

We require a Security Plan  for large block events.

See block event security requirements

See sample block event map

Street use permit

We require a separate permit for National Night Out or residential block events.

See block event permits

Request accessible format

If you need help with this information, please email 311, or call 311 or 612-673-3000.

Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

Contact us

Business Licenses & Consumer Services

Community Planning & Economic Development






Public Service Building 
505 Fourth Ave. S., Room 220
Minneapolis, MN 55415


Minneapolis 311


Office hours

7 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Monday – Friday