Event food and beverages

You need an Event Food Sponsor Permit to sell or give away food at a public event in Minneapolis.


If you sell or give away food at a public event in Minneapolis, you need an Event Food Sponsor Permit.

At least two weeks before the first day of your event, turn in your:

Public event definition

A public event is an event where members of the public can:

  • Buy tickets to attend
  • Attend for free

For help determining whether your event is public or private, contact the Health Department. Ask for a health inspector with the Food Permit Team.

Contact the Health Department

Vendor permits and licenses

All vendors must have one of the following:

Licensed Minneapolis restaurants and bars planning an event with a temporary expansion of license  may need an Event Food Sponsor Permit  and Short Term Food Permit . We will waive permit fees if the restaurant or bar is the only food or beverage vendor at the event.

Approved vendors

Find a list of approved food trucks and seasonal food vendors:

Payment options

Applications and payments must be received at least two weeks before the first day of your event. Late fees apply to applications and payments received after the first day of your event. Applications received less than two business days before the event may not be approved or could be restricted. Applications received less than two business days before the first day of your event may not be approved or could be restricted. You can pay your food permit application fee by email, mail, secure fax, or in-person.  Refer to the  for details. 

Green To Go

Food or beverages that will be eaten when served or served to-go must be in containers that meet Green To Go rules. The containers must be re-useable, recyclable, or compostable.

Polystyrene products are not allowed. This includes foam (Styrofoam) and plastic #6 products. Caterers are exempt from Green To Go rules. We encourage caterers to use preferred plastics number 1, 2, and 5 and compostable containers.


Contact Minneapolis Environmental Health

Contact 311 if you hav questions about food and beverages at events. Ask to speak with a Health Inspector on the Food Permit Team or email Environmental Health Permit Team.

Request accessible format

If you need help with this information, please email 311, or call 311 or 612-673-3000.

Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

Contact us


Minneapolis Health Department

Environmental Health Permit






Make payment in person at:

Public Service Building
Minneapolis Service Center
505 Fourth Ave. S., Skyway level
Minneapolis, MN 55415

Mail a payment to:

Minneapolis Environmental Health
505 Fourth Ave. S., Room 520
Minneapolis, MN 55415


Minneapolis 311


Office hours

7 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Monday – Friday