We explain when buildings can be boarded and for how long.
Reasons for boarding
Common reasons for boarding:
- The City boards vacant buildings to keep them secure.
- The owner may choose to board an unoccupied building.
- The Police may board a building after a raid or fire.
Vacant and open to trespass
A vacant building that is not secure is a danger to the neighborhood because it:
- Invites squatters
- Can be a fire hazard
- Is a danger to children
Boards help prevent these hazards.
The building owner chooses:
- Not to occupy the building
- To use boards to keep it secure
Police action or fire
The Police will board a building:
- After they have raided the property and the building is vacant
- If they have observed unsafe activities in a vacant building
- After a fire to keep the building secure
Find out what you need to do to maintain a property and pass inspections.
Report an issue
AddressMinneapolis Public Service Building
505 Fourth Ave. S., Room 510Minneapolis, MN 55415
8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Monday – Friday