How to apply
Before applying, you should be able to answer these questions:
- What type of license would you like?
- Do you have a location in Minneapolis? The site must approved by Zoning staff.
- Do you meet applicant qualifications:
- At least 21 years of age
- No felony convictions in the past five years
- Less than two alcohol-related misdemeanors in the past five years
- Do you have legal and traceable funding?
- Are you planning on offering entertainment?
- Have you prepared a business plan? You may also need to complete a Safety Plan Review form and a sound plan.
- Have you thought about your menu? You need to provide a minimum number of entrees. A Health Inspector can help you with this.
- Where are your customers going to park?
- Have you sent a letter to your Council Member and neighborhood organization?
- Meet with a License Inspector if you have questions.
- Take your application to the Minneapolis Development Review Office to begin your reviews by the Zoning and Health divisions.
Tips to help you succeed
- Start early. It may take extra time to schedule inspections and get approvals from the other divisions.
- Follow the application checklist. The first page of every license application packet lists everything we need. A complete application reduces delays.
- Know the rules. Before you sign a lease, ask if can be contingent on getting your license. Staff from Zoning can tell you the type of business allowed at a location. You may need to give us a floor plan. You may need other permits for building, plumbing or mechanical. For more information, call or visit the Minneapolis Development Review Office.