govdelivery_icon Sign up for e-mail updates from Homegrown Minneapolis.

Food Preservation, Preparation & Kitchen Facilities

Homegrown Minneapolis Logo

Many people are interested in engaging with the local food system by teaching and learning cooking skills, preserving large quantities of produce for storage, and processing food for sale. Minneapolis offers a variety of spaces where individuals, groups, and businesses can prepare food for themselves or the public. These activities are regulated through important laws, such as Minnesota Cottage Food Law (The "Pickle Bill"), discussed on this page.

Kitchen facilities in Minneapolis

Kitchen facilities fall into two basic categories – those that are licensed and those that are not licensed. Licensed kitchen facilities have been inspected by the Minneapolis Health Department and are certified to meet specific local, state, and federal food safety requirements According to the City of Minneapolis, a community kitchen is defined as "an approved facility licensed as a food manufacturer that may be used by licensed businesses for commercial purpose. A community kitchen may also be an unlicensed kitchen that is used by community members for cooking non-commercial or exempt foods or for cooking classes and/or other related activities." (Minneapolis Code of Ordinances 186.50).

Which type of kitchen facility do I need?

The type of kitchen you should use depends on what you plan to do with the food you prepare.

If you are preparing food for a public event, farmers market, or food truck under a market manufacturer/distributor permit, food truck license, short term food permit, or seasonal short term food permit, a licensed kitchen is needed for all food storage and preparation conducted offsite for the event. In this case, you do not have to have your own license, but the kitchen must be licensed.

If you are preparing food to sell to the public outside of a public event or farmers market, including online sales, wholesale, or catering, a licensed kitchen is needed for all food preparation conducted for these types of sales. In this case, you must obtain the license at the kitchen.

If you are preparing food for a public event or farmers market which meets the requirements of the Pickle Bill (28A.15 Subd. 10) or home processor statute license exemption (28A.15 Subd. 9), educational cooking classes and demonstrations, or personal use (such as preserving large amounts of produce), a kitchen that is not licensed can be used for food preparation.

If you are unsure about the type of kitchen you need, please call 311.

Shared licensed kitchens

The licensed kitchens below lease and market their space to individuals, groups, or businesses. If you have a licensed kitchen facility you would like to add to this list, please contact Tamara Downs Schwei at [email protected] or 612-673-3553.

Name Address Phone Website
City Food Studio 3722 Chicago Avenue South (612) 315-3399
Dots Gray 208 N 29th Ave (612) 232-6310
Grace Center for Community Life 1500 Sixth Street NE (612) 788-2444 [email protected]
Kindred Kitchen 1210 West Broadway Avenue (612) 584-0828
Kitchen in the Market 920 East Lake Street #107 (612) 568-5486


Almost all licensed kitchens in Minneapolis (such as those in restaurants) could be used as a kitchen for another food business, as long as the kitchen is in good standing with the Minneapolis Health Department and has the capacity for additional food prep and storage. For more information, please call 311.

Community kitchens (not licensed)

A list of community kitchens is available here. Please note that some locations and rates may no longer be available.

Additional resources

Food Safety

Cooking Classes

Minnesota Cottage Food Law (The "Pickle Bill") 

Last updated May 9, 2019



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-263-6850.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 

Minneapolis 311       ©1997-2021 City of Minneapolis, MN


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Watch Minneapolis City Council TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo