Public Works

Surface Water & Sewers Division
309 2nd Ave. S.
Minneapolis, MN 55401-2268

To contact, call 311.

Regulatory Controls and Enforcement


The City of Minneapolis enforces ordinances designed to minimize stormwater runoff pollution, including these efforts:

Erosion and Sediment Control (ESC): Chapter 52

The Chapter 52 ordinance, in accordance with the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA), regulates the disturbance of topsoil, to ensure topsoil does not leave an excavation site or enter the storm drain system, on either private property or the public right-of-way.

If you are planning a project in Minneapolis that may require an ESC permit and have questions about the requirements, contact Jeremy Strehlo at 612-673-3973 (download an ESC permit at the Minneapolis Development Review web page). You, or the contractor that is hired, are required to have all appropriate permits clearly posted at the construction site.

After obtaining your permit, notify Environmental Services at 612-673-3595 at least 48 hours before disturbing any land and before construction starts. Failure to do this may result in a fine, your permit being revoked, or a stop work order could be issued.

You can find additional information about erosion and sediment control by visiting  at the Minnesota Erosion Control Association (MECA) or MPCA's Minnesota Stormwater Manual.

Stormwater Management Requirements: Chapter 54

The Chapter 54 ordinance establishes requirements for land disturbing activities on sites greater than one acre, and specifies stormwater management standards according to the receiving water body, which includes:

Stormwater management plans are required for all construction projects on sites greater than one acre in size, and are reviewed through the Minneapolis site plan review process. After installation of stormwater devices, the permitting process requires registration, inspection and maintenance for each device registered by Minneapolis Regulatory Services. Sites less than one acre are encouraged to incorporate stormwater BMPs in their design as a means of satisfying other City codes, such as land use green space requirements.

Lawn Fertilizer: Chapter 55

The Chapter 55 ordinance restricts the sale and use of lawn fertilizers containing phosphorus, to help reduce pollution of the Mississippi River and the lakes and creeks of Minneapolis. However, phosphorus fertilizer is allowed during the first growing season when establishing new lawns or if a soil test shows a need for phosphorus.

Lawn fertilizers contain nitrogen (N), phosphorus (P) and potassium (K). The label will indicate how much NPK is contained in each fertilizer bag. Generally, the amount of phosphorus needed is much less than nitrogen or potassium. Minneapolis soils are typically higher in phosphorus, which means fertilizer containing higher amounts of phosphorus is unnecessary.

Prohibited Discharges to Sanitary Sewers: Chapter 511.190

CSOs can occur when heavy rain or melting snow causes sanitary sewers to overflow into stormwater pipes, mixing with stormwater runoff from buildings, parking lots and streets and flow, untreated, into the Mississippi River. The Chapter 511.190 ordinance helps to eliminate CSOs by mandating disconnection of any direct drainage of stormwater or clean non-stormwater discharges into the sanitary sewer system, which includes:

Hazardous Spills

Minneapolis Public Works, Fire, Regulatory Services and Emergency Communications all work together to respond to hazardous spills, both large and small.

Cleanup involves containment, source elimination and recovery. The release is first contained to prevent hazardous materials from spreading. Storm drain inlets can be blocked to prevent entry to the storm system. After the spill has been contained and further releases have been eliminated, recovery can begin.

Small spills may be recovered by applying sand to the site. After the sand absorbs the spill, it is removed by a street sweeper. Minneapolis personnel perform follow-up procedures to find out what caused the event and to determine what measures can be taken in the future to prevent spills.

For large or extremely hazardous spills, the Fire Department's Hazardous Materials Response Team is mobilized. The State Public Safety Duty Officer may also dispatch an emergency cleanup contractor.

Prohibited Discharges to Storm Drains

Complaints about unauthorized discharges (illegal dumping) of trash, oil, antifreeze or other contaminants into the storm drain system are received from many sources. City maintenance crews inspect stormwater structures and report suspected illicit discharges to Regulatory Services. These reports are investigated to determine the appropriate course of action, which can include enforcement and possible fines or other penalties. Minneapolis residents can fill out an Environmental Management Complaint Form or call 311.

Last updated Mar 8, 2019



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-263-6850.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 

Public Works  ©1997-2020 City of Minneapolis, MN


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Watch Minneapolis City Council TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo