Public Works

Surface Water & Sewers Division
309 2nd Ave. S.
Minneapolis, MN 55401-2268

To contact, call 311.


The City of Minneapolis and the Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board cooperate with local watershed management organizations, Hennepin County, Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT), neighboring cities, and the Metropolitan Council in stormwater management efforts.

Funding for watershed management organizations comes from direct taxation against properties in their jurisdiction, or from annual contribution from member cities based on respective area located within watershed boundaries and tax capacity within the watershed.

Watershed Management Organizations

Bassett Creek Water Management Commission (BCWMC) provides water quality education, funds capital projects, and requires stormwater management, erosion control practices and floodplain management for redevelopment projects that are five acres and greater in area. The City of Minneapolis contributes approximately $33,000 per year to their operating budget.

Mississippi Watershed Management Organization (MWMO) focuses on funding water quality capital improvement projects, as well as public education programs. Rather than provide separate project review and approval, MWMO delegates stormwater management requirements for new developments to its member cities. The funding for this organization comes from direct taxation against properties in their jurisdiction.

Shingle Creek Watershed Management Commission (SCWMC) provides water quality education, funds capital projects, and reviews plans of land development near lakes, wetlands, or natural waterways or within the 100-year floodplain. SCWMC also reviews plans for single-family detached housing, 15 acres or larger, or other land uses 5 acres or larger. New construction requires include erosion protection and detention and treatment on site or ensuring it is available in a regional or other facility. The City of Minneapolis contributes approximately $22,000 per year to their operating budget.

Minnehaha Creek Watershed District (MCWD) works to protect existing natural resources, requires stormwater management practices on new constructions projects, provides water quality education, and funds water quality improvement projects. MCWD administers District rules on erosion control, floodplain alteration, wetland protection, dredging, shoreline and stream bank improvements, stream and lake crossings, and stormwater management. The MCWD receives revenue through direct taxation against properties within their jurisdiction.

Highway Departments

Neighboring Cities

Since watersheds encompass all areas that drain to the same body of water, they typically include multiple communities. The City of Minneapolis and neighboring cities including: Brooklyn Center, Columbia Heights, Edina, Golden Valley, Lauderdale, Richfield, Roseville, St. Anthony, St. Louis Park and St. Paul cooperate and coordinate efforts when managing stormwater related activities in common drainage areas. Most coordination with neighboring cities is accomplished through participation in watershed management organizations or watershed districts. 

Metropolitan Council

The City of Minneapolis and the Metropolitan Council cooperate in controlling private discharges to the storm and sanitary systems. Permits are required for industrial and construction discharges that are jointly reviewed. Minneapolis and the Metropolitan Council are also joint permit holders for a National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit that regulates Combined Sewer Overflows (CSOs) into the Mississippi River.

The Urban Small Sites Best Management Practices Manual and the Minnesota Stormwater Manual provide detailed stormwater management and BMP information for the designer, builder and owner of sites in fully developed areas such as Minneapolis.

Last updated Jan 24, 2019



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-263-6850.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 

Public Works  ©1997-2020 City of Minneapolis, MN


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Watch Minneapolis City Council TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo