Public Works

Sewer and Storm Drain Unit
24-Hour Hotline (612) 673-5625
or call 311 for non-urgent issues

Reporting Public Sewer Problems

Urgent Issues

How do I report sewage overflowing from a sewer manhole into the street, onto the ground or a driveway?

Contact Minneapolis Sewer Operations immediately at (612) 673-5625 or you can also call 311. We can determine the cause and remedy the situation. 

If there is a foreign substance flowing into a storm drain inlet, who should I contact?

If you notice a foreign substance flowing into a storm drain inlet,  call Minneapolis Sewer Operations immediately at (612) 673-5625 with as much detailed information as possible. We will send a crew out right away to evaluate the situation. Depending on the severity of the situation, City staff may handle it internally or contact other agencies we partner with if appropriate.  Since material could be potentially hazardous, do not attempt to deal with a spill yourself. If you suspect the material might hazardous or potentially explosive, call 911 first. They will contact Minneapolis Sewer Operations directly.

Who should I notify if I see water gushing out of a storm drain inlet after a heavy rain event?

Call 311.  Occasionally during or after a heavy rain event, the storm drain is filled to capacity. Built-up water pressure or trapped air will blow the manhole or storm drain cover off. Use caution and stay clear of the area until after City staff has fixed the problem.

If I smell sewer odors or gases in the street, what should I do?

Call 311 or Minneapolis Sewer Operations at (612) 673-5625.  A crew will be dispatched to investigate and determine a solution to the problem.

If you smell natural gas, call 911 and stay clear of the area.

Non-Urgent Issues

What can be done about grass clippings or leaves that block the sewer drain inlet?

Call 311. A Minneapolis Sewer Operations crew will clear the material blocking the storm drain inlet. 


          A Minneapolis Sewer Operations crew clearing out a plugged catch basin

You may also sweep up the leaves and debris and properly dispose of them. Leaves that fall or are swept into our streets enter the City's storm drain system via stormwater or snowmelt.  These leaves break down, eventually reaching the lakes, creeks and the Mississippi River.  This also produces high levels of unsightly algae and phosphorus, polluting our local area water bodies.  Do your part by keeping leaves out of the streets - every little bit helps!

What can I do about manhole covers near my house that rattle every time a vehicle rolls over it?

Manhole covers typically are solidly seated in a casting, but occasionally they come loose, due to heavy traffic, climate changes, or being removed and not placed back properly. Call 311 or Minneapolis Sewer Operations at (612) 673-5625 to have a crew resolve the situation. 

Occasionally, manhole covers can crack or break.  If you see this, contact 311 or Minneapolis Sewer Operations at (612) 673-5625 and we will dispatch a crew to replace the manhole cover and avert a potentially dangerous situation.

Last updated Feb 26, 2018



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-263-6850.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 

Public Works  ©1997-2020 City of Minneapolis, MN


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Watch Minneapolis City Council TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo